November 07 News
November 07Purdey Award for Alnwick partridge project
16.11.07 – The 2007 Purdey Award for Game & Conservation has gone to a grey partridge restoration project run on 5,000 acres of the Duke of Northumberland's Alnwick estate. The award was presented to the Duke, accompanied by headkeeper Garry Whitfield and partridge ground keeper Kevan McCaig, in the famous Long Room at Purdey's shop in South Audley Street, London, on Thursday 15 Nov. They received £4,000 and a jeroboam of Laurent Perrier champagne. Richard Purdey paid tribute to the "shared passion" of everyone involved in the project to save wild partridge from extinction.
New guidance on certificate renewals
15.11.07 – New guidance from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) could ease problems for shooters whose certificate renewals are delayed through no fault of their own. The guidance says that, when a shooter has applied for a renewal in good time and police have failed to issue a new certificate before the old one expires, a Section 7 certificate should be issued. The new guidance has been warmly welcomed by the Countryside Alliance.
Bird Flu hits shooting
13.11.07 – Shooters are being advised to restrict their shooting in the 3km 'protection' and 10km 'surveillance' zones around premises affected by an outbreak of H5N1 Bird Flu in turkeys at Diss in Norfolk. BASC say that shoots should take particular care with biosecurity, and report any abnormal behaviour or die-offs of wild birds – particularly wildfowl, gulls and starlings – to the Defra helpline on 08459 33 55 77. Read BASC updates and advice to shooters here »
- 1 Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III - test & review
- 2 BROWNING B725 SPORTER - test & review
- 3 BERETTA 694 SPORTING - TEST & REVIEW
- 4 Caesar Guerini Invictus III Ascent Sporter - test & review
- 5 Gun test: new Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III Sporting
- 6 Can I fire a shotgun near a road?
- 7 Game recipe: Partridge gnocchi bake
- 8 The NEW Longthorne Boxlock Trigger Plate - reviewed by Jonny Carter
- 9 Beretta 694 Trap - test & review
- 10 Gun test: Browning 525 GL
Previous news stories »