Sako 85 Hunter
An evolution of the popular 75 model, boasting controlled-round feed and improved stock shapes – with a comb more parallel to barrel axis – as well as some magazine modifications. The 75 shot well and the 85 is as good or better with a guarantee of 1in at 100 yards.
Distributed by GMK, www.gmk.co.uk Prices from £1,235
The 700 with its famous ‘three rings of steel’ in the action is probably the world’s most popular sporting rifle. A simple but splendid design, it has been chosen by many budget conscious shooters. In its latest incarnations the 700 has a more elegant, classical look.
- 1 Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III - test & review
- 2 BERETTA 694 SPORTING - TEST & REVIEW
- 3 BROWNING B725 SPORTER - test & review
- 4 Caesar Guerini Invictus III Ascent Sporter - test & review
- 5 Gun test: new Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III Sporting
- 6 Can I fire a shotgun near a road?
- 7 Game recipe: Partridge gnocchi bake
- 8 Gun test: Browning 525 GL
- 9 Beretta 694 Trap - test & review
- 10 The NEW Longthorne Boxlock Trigger Plate - reviewed by Jonny Carter
For info see www.edgar-brothers.co.uk Prices from £600
Bill Ruger took the firearms world by storm when he introduced the model 77 around 30 years ago. A modified Mauser, it was presented in a well-priced package with lines influenced by makers like Holland & Holland. Economy was made possible by new investment casting techniques.
Viking Arms, www.vikingarms.com Prices from £627
One of the most popular rifles with serious sporting riflemen in Britain, the T3 has two-lug bolt and a detachable box mag. The guns are famous for their accuracy, and most will shoot tiny groups without any modification. The company is based in Finland, and part of the Beretta empire.
Distributed by GMK, www.gmk.co.uk Prices from £640
Always a good rifle for fans of old-world craftsmanship and something a bit different. These guns continue to impress sportsmen with their consistent build quality and unique aesthetics. The ‘swirled’ barrel and ‘butterknife’ bolt are distinctive features in some models.
The Sportsman, 01803 558142 Prices from £735 ";s:13